About Canada
Costs ($)
Getting a Visa
Student Services
Online CounsellorWeb Zine
Select a new school type and then click Go.
-- or --

Advanced Search

* Not sure what school type to select? Click here.  

Receive more information about Canadian Education, register now.


Postgraduate (Graduate Studies) Studies

How do I obtain information about Postgraduate programs in Canada?
You are also strongly urged to view the individual Canadian Institution websites as well, for further detailed information. If you don't find sufficient information about the programs on the website or brochures, students are encouraged to purchase a phone card and telephone the Institution's Graduate Student Department for further information. This is an effective method of getting more information at an economical cost ! However, you are advised to do this only after you have viewed the Graduate Study information on the Institution's website so you don't ask information that is already available on the website !

What are Postgraduate Diploma/Certificate programs?
These are one year programs offered by some Canadian Colleges and Universities in Canada. These programs are offered in a variety of areas of study such as Accounting, Business, Computer Science, Digital Communications, Engineering, Health Care Administration, Education, Public Administration, Social Sciences, etc.

The advantage of these programs is that they have less stringent admission requirements and are shorter in length of time, compared to the Masters programs.  For admission to these programs, students are usually required to have completed an undergraduate degree or advanced diploma.

How long will it take to earn a Postgraduate qualification in Canada?
Most postgraduate Certificates and Diploma programs usually take about a year to complete. The Masters programs require between 1-3 years to complete whilst PhD or Doctorate programs require either 2 or 3 years of full-time residency at the Canadian University. Often, additional time is required to complete the Doctoral thesis.

Is the Masters program made up of course work only?
Some Canadian universities offer Masters degree programs that can be completed by course work alone while others require course work plus a thesis or major paper.

When are the starting dates of Postgraduate programs in Canada?
The main intake for postgraduate programs in Canada is in early September. However, depending on the area of study, some institutions offer an additional intake in January or sometimes in May.

What is the admission requirement for Masters/Doctorate degrees in Canada?
The admission requirement for graduate study programs in Canada varies from one University/Subject area to another. However, generally you are required to submit one or more of the following documentation:-


Proof of a recognized 4 year undergraduate degree for Masters degree OR  a Masters degree for Doctorate programs.


Reference letters (usually 3 from Professors, Employers, etc) 


An acceptable test score on GMAT (for most MBA programs) or GRE (for mostly Science programs)


3-5 years working experience ( for most MBA programs).


All international students who have not been studying in an English Language medium institution for the past 3-5 years are required to show proof of English proficiency by producing an acceptable score on the IBT TOEFL (score of 79 to 100) or IELTS (band of 6.0 to 7.5).

What is a Qualifying or Pre-Masters year?
At some Canadian universities, a Qualifying or Pre-Masters year is available. This is a special program for students who lack sufficient academic preparation to enter a specific discipline of graduate studies. These students are usually those with 3 year undergraduate degrees or planning to change from one field to another or students with lower than the required academic standing.  It is therefore important to take note that students in the Qualifying year are not actually postgraduate students since the courses taken during the program cannot be transferred to a subsequent Masters degree. It is only upon completion of the qualifying year that students will be eligible to apply for admission to a Master degree.

What is meant by application and supporting documents deadline?
When submitting an application to a Canadian institution, applicants must take note of both the application deadline as well as the supporting documents deadline.

The application deadline is the deadline for the Canadian Institution to receive your completed application form. The application deadlines vary with each institution/program but you usually have to complete the application form at least 9 -11 months before the start of the program. When you complete the application form, you must also include the application fee. This is why applying online through the Institution's website is the most convenient and fastest method because you usually pay the application fee by credit card. Students are reminded that your application will only be processed by the Canadian Institution once the application fee has been received.

The supporting documents deadline (usually later than the application form deadline) is the deadline for you to submit all your academic documentation. Please take note that academic documentation sent to Canadian Institutions must either be original documents or copies certified in English and sealed in an envelope by the issuing institution. You should also be aware that without the supporting documents, your application cannot be reviewed and therefore a decision cannot be made on your application.

How much do Postgraduate programs cost in Canada?
Tuition costs of postgraduate programs vary with each Canadian Institution and program but generally, tuition fees range from a minimum of C$ 3,000 to C$ 40,000 (approximately RM 9,000 to RM 120,000) a year. The tuition fees are determined solely by the individual institution and is not related to the type, location or quality of the institution.

Living expenses (accommodation, food, local transportation, textbooks, etc) vary with each student's lifestyle and the location of the Institution, but generally it ranges from about C$7,000 to C$ 10,000 (RM 21,000 to RM 30,000) a year.

Do Canadian institutions offer financial assistance for postgraduate programs?
Canadian institutions do offer financial assistance in the form of scholarships, awards, fellowships or teaching assistantship for international students with high academic achievement. Students are advised to view the website and contact the graduate office at individual Canadian institutions for information on this. CLICK HERE for a listing of institutions that offer scholarships at the postgraduate level. 

Malaysian students are also encouraged to investigate funding opportunities from Malaysian government agencies.

Can I work in Canada?
Students studying in Canada on a Study Permit (Student Visa) have several opportunities to work in Canada as follows :-


Part-time work on-campus in a public post secondary institution.


Work off-campus up to 20 hours a week if you have already studied 6 months at a public or approved private post secondary institution.


Enroll in a co-op program where the work term is a required part of your study.


Work as a Teaching Assistant (mostly applicable for graduate students only).


Upon graduation from an approved post-secondary institution, international students are now permitted to work in Canada for up to 3 years provided they have studied and resided in Canada for more than 2 years .

CLICK HERE for further details on employment opportunities.

Is it difficult to apply for a Canadian student visa and what is the application procedure?
No, it is not difficult to apply for a Canadian Study Permit (Student Visa) in Malaysia. Once you have received the official letter of acceptance from the Canadian institution, you can begin your application for the Canadian Study Permit (Student Visa). The processing time for a Study Permit application is usually 28 days. The process requires students to show that they have sufficient funds to cover for their tuition fees & living costs as well as undergo a medical examination.


Learn More About CEC: Home