Coquitlam School District
Coquitlam School District — International Education
Inspiring Academic Education
"When I first arrived in Coquitlam... I didn't have the courage to speak in English, but people here let us feel welcome and they care about us. Canadian host family treat me like another family. Teachers are very friendly? I'm happy to be here and I'm sure I'll be doing very well at school." — DK, Korea
Guiding Global Citizens, Becoming Tomorrow's Leaders
The International Education Program of the Coquitlam School District provides an excellent opportunity for students outside of Canada to learn English while here pursuing academic and career programs. International students experience invaluable learning and life skills through mastery of the English language, and by forging lifelong, international friendships, all the while absorbing the Canadian culture here in beautiful British Columbia. The Coquitlam International program fosters the building of friendships between Canadian and international students and their families through the sharing of experiences and backgrounds. It further enhances school environments by exploring cultural diversity and broadening global understanding. The District offers language classes, complete academic programming, and a wide range of courses to global students. International students benefit from a fully developed program taught by B.C. government certified teachers in new state-of-the-art schools fully equipped with the latest technologies.
Coquitlam School District is the third largest of the 60 B.C. school districts, and is the largest employer in the local municipalities. The District employs more than 4,000 full-time and part-time employees, and has more than 30,000 students enrolled in 66 schools. Coquitlam School District welcomes students aged 5-18 in all grades. As each school has a distinct personality and distinct qualities, each is a unique representation of its students, staff, and community.
The District encompasses the cities of Coquitlam, Port Moody and Port Coquitlam, and the villages of Belcarra and Anmore. The total population in the Tri-Cities area is 206,000 spread over 200 square kilometers. Coquitlam is only 30 minutes from downtown Vancouver via car, bus or Sky Train. The two major universities, Simon Fraser University and the University of British Columbia, are both a short commute from Coquitlam. The world class Whistler Mountain Ski Resort, host site of the 2010 Winter Olympic Games, is less than a 2-hour drive by car. The Tri-cities enjoy a mild climate with a safe environment and an affluent lifestyle. Nestled in the mountains and edged by the Pacific Ocean and Fraser River, Coquitlam truly is an ideal setting for international students, offering excellent year-round recreation, shopping and renown multi-ethnic cuisine.
- Consistently rated by British Columbia Ministry of Education as one of the best districts in the province
- New "state-of-the-art" schools with the latest equipment, technology and facilities
- Situated between the Pacific Ocean and the Fraser River in natural, safe and affluent surroundings - the community is close to Vancouver and Whistler
- Largest International Education Program in Canada with a tradition of more than 55 years of academic excellence and scholarships
- Third largest school district in B.C. enrolling 30,000 students in 66 schools Eight secondary schools: Dr. Charles Best, Centennial, Terry Fox, Gleneagle, Heritage Woods, Pinetree, Port Moody, and Riverside
- Offers a wide variety of academic and career programs, as well as ESL for students in grades Kindergarten to 5 (elementary), grades 6 to 8 (middle) and grades 9 to 12 (secondary)
- History of academic excellence and scholarship ESL-trained teachers provide support to international students
- Secondary school graduation certificate recognized by all Canadian and US universities
- In close proximity to Simon Fraser University, Douglas College and the University of British Columbia
- Located close to Simon Fraser University, Douglas College and the University of British Columbia
Many programs are available for International Students throughout the school year. Full year programs for 10 months with students integrated into regular Canadian classrooms are offered, as well as short-term Intensive ESL programs for as short as 1 week at a time. Coquitlam School District offers a Summer ESL/Culture Program during July and August consisting of a half-day morning classroom time, plus an afternoon of cultural activities to apply and practice newly acquired English skills. English 9, 10 or 11 Preparation classes are also offered during the summer. Four week, short term, Intensive ESL courses are offered from September through to June for elementary, middle and secondary students.
- Full Year Program for Kindergarten to Grade 12
- The District's most popular program
Half Year Programs
- Secondary - February start (five month semester)
- Middle and Elementary - January start
- Intensive ESL
- Integrated at a District regular school site
- Monthly Program from September through to June
- Six Month maximum
Summer and Winter Intensive ESL Programs
- Summer: July and August
- Weekly Programs
- Available in 1 - 8 week options
- Customized group programs available
International students are invited to attend the District's Elementary/Middle/High School Intensive ESL program for all grades. Students will be immersed in English-as-a-Second-Language classes and taught necessary and useful skills for success in the regular school system. This course focuses on reading comprehension, grammar, vocabulary, writing, and oral skills. Students will also learn about Canadian history and geography to gain background information for Social Studies. Canadian culture, mannerisms and cultural diversity will be explored. All Coquitlam School District teachers have university degrees and are trained and certified by the British Columbia College of Teachers.
Chartered by the government of British Columbia, the District employs only government certified teachers considered to be among the best in the world. Coquitlam School District uses only B.C. Government Ministry of Education approved curriculum in all schools. Many of Coquitlam's modern schools are just a few years old and showcase state-of-the-art technologies. ESL trained and certified teachers provide support to Coquitlam's international students where English is a second language.
For further information about the International Education Program, please contact:
Coquitlam School District at International Education
1100 Winslow Avenue, Coquitlam, B.C. Canada V3J 2G3
Telephone: (604) 936-5769
Fax: (604) 939-6427