About Canada
Costs ($)
Getting a Visa
Student Services
Guide Countries that Require a Visitors Visa FAQ Work and Study Exchange Programs
Select a new school type and then click Go.
-- or --

Advanced Search

* Not sure what school type to select? Click here.  

Receive more information about Canadian Education, register now.

Getting a Visa

Getting a Visa

Depending on your country of origin and the type and length of study, you may require:
A temporary resident visa
A study permit
 For Quebec-bound students, a CAQ (Quebec Application Certificate)

The type of documentation required depends on your country of origin, the program you are taking, and the length of your study:
Any study program of up to six months: no study permit is required
Programs longer than six months require a study permit.
If you will be studying a program of six months or less, but thunk you may continue your studies in another program after this short-term program is completed, you should apply for a study permit before you come to Canada. if you do not have a valid study permit and wish to continue your studies, you will have to leave Canada in order to apply for one.
NOTE: A temporary resident visa may be required depending on yuor country of origin. Please see the list of countries that require a temporary resident visa as provided by Citizenship and Immigration Canada. More information on the process of applying for a study permit is available on the Citizenship and Immigration Canada's website. http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/visit/visas.asp

The Consulate General for Canada in Sydney deals with all visas and student authorizations/study permits for applicants currently residing in:

  • Australia
  • New Zealand and
  • the Pacific Islands south of the Equator 

Address: Quay West, 111 Harrington Street, NSW 2000, SYDNEY, Australia
Office Hours: open to the public from 9:00 am to 12:00 pm, Monday to Thurs (excluding Public Holidays).

Phone:02-9364-3050 This is a recorded information service only
Fax: 02-9364-3099  The country code for Ausralia is 61
Email Address: sydney.immigration@international.gc.ca


FEES FOR CANADIAN VISAS                          Effective 29 October 2008

  • Student authorization/Study permits:      
    Individual: AUS$155 or CAN$125
  • Visitor visa:     
    - Individual Single Entry: AUS$95 or CAN$75
    - Multiple Entry: AUS$190 or CAN$150 
    - Family Rate: AUS$510 or CAN$400
    - Transit: No fee
    Payment of the prescribed fee MUST be made at the time an application form is submitted for processing. Payment may be made by either a direct deposit of the fee in Australian dollars at any Westpac Bank (for individuals currently residing in Australia only) OR by providing this office with a bank cheque/draft in Australian or Canadian dollars made payable to the Canadian Consulate-General, Sydney, endorsed for collection by any bank in Australia. The Consulate-General will not accept the telegraphic transfer of fee payments. The processing fee is non-refundable. Personal cheques will not be accepted.

Click here to download the application for Student Athorisation/Study permit

Please note that citizens of Australia and New Zealand do not require visas to visit Canada as toursits.  Visas are required to work, study or establish permanent residence in Canada.


  • Student Authorizaton/Study Permits: 4 weeks
  • Visitors Visas: 1 to 10 working days (longer if interview required)

An applicant who is not a permanent resident or citizen of the area the Consulate General is responsible for should provide with their application details of their status in that area (for example international student visa etc..).

WHAT'S NEW (as of June 28th, 2002)

  • No permit required for short-term programs that are six months or less.  Under the new Act, a person can now study without a permit if the course or study proram lasts for six months for less.
  • Tougher consequences for violations:  under the new Act, imigration officers abroad can refuse to issue a study permit to somene who has prevously sutdied or worked in Canada without authorization.


Learn More About Canada: Guide